Lady LeStrange-Tudor is particular about the cream she uses for her Island Rum Pound Cake. The Butler man-machine always takes a few swigs of the rum, though, before serving the cake to game pieces within the castle.
- 1 package yellow cake mix (moist)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding mix
- Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Mix together the cake mix, 1/2 cup dark rum, eggs, 1/2 cup water, oil, and vanilla pudding mix. Pour batter over the nuts in the pan.
- Bake the cake for 1 hour at 325 degrees.
- For the glaze: Melt 1/2 cup butter in a saucepan. Stir in 1/8 cup water and the 1/2 cup sugar. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove glaze from heat, and stir in 1/4 cup rum. Drizzle and smooth evenly over the top and sides. For a “hard” version, let the melted butter mixture cool a little before adding alcohol.
Serve with rum-spiked whipped cream.